Rewiring fog light harness?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by roc0487, Dec 20, 2012.

1. roc0487

roc0487 New Member

What's up players?

I have a brand new set of fogs and the harness looks a little too thin for my liking... I'm somewhat familiar with wiring and am planning on redoing the harness with a lower gauge (I think it's 18 or 20 right now) but wanted to know if anyone has done this? Also plan to replace inline fuse, and relay with something of higher quality. I had a similar set in the past and the harness melted on me, this was a gift so I would like to make it work! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys (and or ladies)
    Roc

2. roc0487

roc0487 New Member

Any advice?

3. The_Beave

The_Beave The Red Tape Avenger

What wattage bulb? I usually wire things up with 14 gauge directly from the battery with whatever switch wiring for the relay.

4. roc0487

roc0487 New Member

not sure on the wattage... when you say 14 gauge do you mean the entire light harness in 14 gauge or the fused wire from the battery to the relay is 14?

5. The_Beave

The battery to headlight stuff.

6. roc0487

roc0487 New Member

Did you upgrade the switch harness also? I have it all layed out... it will be easy to go to 14 gauge on the fog side of the harness... but where the relay connects to the interior part would be a transition, not sure if that would be a bad thing. Seems sketchy?

7. The_Beave

The only thing the relay harness is doing is tripping the relay. It caries ~30mA or something tiny like that. When I upgrade stock headlight harneses, I use the stock headlight wires to trip the relay for the headlights. There's nothing wrong with that at all, IMO. It saves time, headache money and is very reliable, depending on if you are putting things together correctly.

8. roc0487

roc0487 New Member

I'm going to upgrade the fog harness to 14 gauge, however where it connects to the switch harness inside the car I am debating on... I wasn't sure if a 14 gauge wire going to 18 would be a bad thing... I'll put an inline fuse in that wire also.