D16Z6 Turbo Build

Discussion in 'Turbo' started by kingtuttle1982, Dec 13, 2014.

1. kingtuttle1982

kingtuttle1982 New Member

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am in the process of building a D16Z6 turbo to put in my 98 Civic EX coupe and wanted to shoot some questions off you to see if you have any suggestions.

Here is what I currently have.
    D16z6 fully machined and rebuilt

D16Z6 Block assembled with:
    YCP Low Compression 9:1 STD size pistons
    Hasting racing piston rings
    Eagle CRS H-Beam Rods with ARP hardware
    Ground, polished and balanced ceankshaft
    `.025" KING Racing main bearings
    `.075" KING Racing rod bearings
    ` STD KING Racing thrust washers.
    `New main seal, oil pump seal, oil pan gasket .
    `Reman D16Y8 oil pump
    `New OEM Y8 water pump and timing belt are also installed.
    D16Z6 Head assembled with:
    `New valve seals, valve guide and camshaft seal. Valves were inspected, replaced (if necessary) and lapped.
    `New JDM ZC Camshaft (Highest lift of any SOHC vtec cam)
    `New OE head bolts are used along with a new MLS head gasket.
    `Engine has Approximately `9.03:1 Compression

I have also purchased a Skunk2 Pro Series Intake Manifold and Throttle Body and AEM fuel rail.

I also plan to get a new clucth and lightweight flywheel, upgraded fuel pump, injectors, turbo kit, 3 inch exhaust system and a Hondata s300 system.

My questions are:
    1) Do you suggest that i upgrade injectors and fuel pump? If so, what size injectors and pump should i use? Brnad?
    2) Should i break in the motor before i put the turbo or does it really make a difference?
    3) Anything else i need to purchase that i did not mention or you would suggest?

I know this is a long first post, but would really appreciate any feedback that you can provide!

Thanks,
    KingTuttle

2. PsykoZako

PsykoZako Highlander status

Looks like a nice build is coming together...

Fuel pump:
    You WILL need to upgrade the fuel pump, don't even run the thing without it. Get a Walbro 255LPH

Injectors:
    Look at the ones used on DCM and EVO (turbo models only) , as they fit the Z6 manifold well and have a very nice spray pattern, just make sure they are "saturated". There are many other injector options, the most popular being RC...Some people adapt Acura RSX/TSX injectors.

Flywheel:
    Have the OEM flywheel turned and balanced. Don't go too much lighter on the flywheel, if any. D-Series need the inertia of the OEM wheel, otherwise it jeopardizes the fine balance of the engine (same with a the drive pulley).

Clutch:
    Look at the Tanaka 6-puck clutch. I had one and Oh my, yes ;)

Breaking in:
    Make sure you use break-in oil, prime the turbo and set the boost as low as possible. Follow standard break-in procedure.

The MOST important part is the tune, without a proper Chip/Tune you're dead in the water. What ECU, Chip and Tune have you planned to use?
    Scan gauge? Turbo timer? All very important things.

3. PsykoZako

PsykoZako Highlander status

I forgot one thing.
    Also, make sure to have a good quality adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
    I missed the Hondata S300, when I read the first time lol I apologize if I missed anything else.